Thursday, February 5, 2009

Catching Up

I'm back in action, reporting LIVE from Vijnana Kala Vedi cultural center in Aranmula, Kerala.

First order of business: apologizing to my already faithful readers and friends for neglecting my blogging responsibilities. Furthermore, thank you to those whose comments alerted me to my need to return to the keyboard. I realize it has been quite some time since I updated you all on my India adventures, but as the title implies, I'll do my best to bring you up to speed. Let's get started, shall we?

Agra: 1/12-1/14

The Taj Mahal, Agra's claim to fame, is easily the most beautiful 17th century structure I've ever seen. We can barely make buildings that beautiful using today's technology. Every aspect of the palace was intricately planned out and executed resulting in apparent flawlessness, fueled by romanticism and lots of rupees. The Taj Mahal embodies perfect symmetry, both linear and rotational (9th grade geometry for ya'), with the exception of its creator's tomb held within. Shah "moneybags" Jihan intended to build an identical Onyx Taj Mahal across the river from the existing white marble Taj where he would be buried, but his son didn't carry out the Shah's wishes after his death. Unfortunately, as I've discovered is common at Indian monuments, video cameras are not allowed on the premises. This ridiculous rule was in fact a blessing in disguise, allowing me to absorb much more and preserve the visit through my memory rather than pictures.
We went other places in Agra, but for me they all paled in comparison. When I'm old and Alzheimer's ridden, the image of the Taj will still be firmly glued to my neurons.


Varanasi: 1/15-1/17

Varanasi is the Hindu headquarters, located along the Ganges River. The Ganges is considered sacred and is worshiped every night in a ceremony known as the Aarti. The ceremony was repetitive, but watching it from a boat and releasing floating candles into the river made it an amazing experience. Another common Hindu practice in Varanasi is the cremation of the dead and the spreading of the ashes into the Ganges. Watching cremations wasn't something I was used to, but it did feel like the process gave a peaceful rest to the earthly bodies.
Our hotel was situated, similarly to many buildings in the city, on a high rock face along the river. It made for an awesome view right from our hotel room's balcony.
A note of caution: the city is infested with attack monkeys, feeding them will not make them more friendly.









Bodhgaya: 1/17-1/19

Appropriately, our next location of the trip was the Buddhist headquarters. Other than being the site where Siddhartha Gautama achieved moksha, they also have an 80ft. Buddha statue. Overkill, but awesome.
The parts of Bodhgaya I appreciated the most: street lights = fluorescent bulbs tied to trees, flocks of monks on religious quests, safe walking areas, loud Buddhist chants played constantly.

Calcutta: 1/20-1/24

Calcutta is a very industrial city with heavy British influence, most readily visible through the plethora of European taxis. A very much enjoyed (by many) aspect of Calcutta was the presence of a KFC and a Domino's two blocks from our 157 year old YMCA. Needless to say, we indulged.
Our stay was characterized by touring , whether it be an MCC site (shout out to Earl Zimmerman), Mother Theresa's mission, or an orphanage. The mission and orphanage were good experiences for me, making me question my lifestyle and also reaffirming my desire to live for the betterment of those in need.


Kerala: 1/26-2/1

Our trip from Calcutta to the South was eventful. An 18 hour train ride followed by a 6 hour, triple take off & landing flight is enough to make anyone severely miserable. Group travel time is typically filled with reading, listening to ipods, playing mafia, and open-mouthed sleeping.
The South is hot, muggy, and everything else different from East coast Winters. It has taken awhile to get used to perpetual sweating.
Unfortunately, I was sick upon our arrival in the South and was unable to attend an event that the rest of the group raves about. Apparently, the annual religious ceremony of a Theyyam in Kerala involves a man dressed as a God repeatedly launching himself into a pile of hot coals and getting pulled out by ropes. I'm told it's as outrageous and awesome as I (and you) imagine.
Our home stays were a real treat. For a few days we stayed with families in a small village outside of Mala where we were taught the art of rice paddy farming. I tore the sleeves off of an Indian shirt I bought in an attempt to look authentic. Whether or not I actually looked the part, it sure felt right. After an exhausting two days of hoeing, irrigating, and plowing, the town challenged us to a game of football. We reluctantly agreed to play. We immediately regretted the decision when we arrived at their clay turf covered in small gravel. James fall down go BOOM (a common theme for our entire team). The game ended with a score of 1-5, impressively not a shut out.
It was fun to interact more closely with members of the Indian culture, but I must say, three weeks in one place, at the Vijnana Kala Vedi will be beneficial.




And here we are! All caught up! Thanks for sticking with me, I'll make sure I stay down to brass tacks for the duration of the trip despite lack of internet in certain areas. No excuses!

Hope all is going well wherever you are, feel free to let me know what I'm missing out on back home.

- James

2 comments:

  1. so i was gonna tell you how much you're missing out on LOST and lots of other things.....but it sounds totally worth it. it seems like you're having a great time! (i'm a little jealous:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. James -
    Sounds like the trip of the lifetime (I am picturing slumdog millionaire as I read especially the Taj Mahal part - were your shoes stolen?). I am glad you started blogging again I had already deleted you from my shortcut bar, maybe now I'll add you again. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete