Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting Adjusted: First Several Days

We have arrived! The trip was mentally and physically exhausting, but we made it safe and sound!

Somewhere along the 14 hour plane ride, I lost my mind. Don't worry, I have since recovered it. I was bugging out, having to walk around every 5 minutes. Pacing, shifting around in my seat, and making disgusted faces at other members of the group were just some of the activities comprising my obnoxious flight behavior. I hereby apologize to those who still hold a grudge (Lara).

We arrived at the YMCA in New Delhi almost 24 hours after leaving Newark (including time change). The first night of sleep was shorter than expected. At 5:00am, Bryce, Jeff, & I finally gave up pretending to sleep, choosing to play 20 Questions instead. Bryce lost.

What a first day! After breakfast we loaded up into the bus and began a day of Delhi adventures. Our views from the bus were our first real exposure to the culture of India. Everyone was amazed and captivated by everything, from organized traffic chaos to little boys digging holes on the side of the street.

During the day we visited many historical sites of Delhi including Humayun's tomb, Red Fort, Old Delhi, and Gandi's Memorial. Old Delhi was definitely my favorite part of the day, as it felt like we were seeing the details of the culture. The rickshaw ride in Old Delhi was out of control. I felt sorry for the little man expected to pull Jeff and me around the tiny streets of the city. You know you're in India when monkeys are climbing around on a tangled mess of functioning power lines.

We were truly a spectacle. People stared at us, wanted pictures with us, and stood within our American comfort zones. Some awkward yet quite humorous interactions included the suggestive stares Jeff got from several men and the chokehold an old man threw at Bryce during the rickshaw ride. Haha, oh my.

This is only the beginning... so much awaits! Sorry there's no picture with this post. There will be some within the week! Peace!

1 comment:

  1. We miss you already James. Only the fleeting aroma of your dirty shirts provide us with a remembrance of last week when you made your temporary home in our living room. I speak for us all when I say it brings a tear to our eyes. Enjoy your new life, my friend, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete